Monday, May 3, 2010

Plan B - book review


Every good planner has a back-up plan. You hear people say all the time, "Well that did not work so let's try plan B". But what about those times when you really thought God was going to come through for you in a certain way and He doesn't. Maybe you have prayed and prayed for something to happen and God leads in a totally different way? Do you find yourself questioning God and being disappointed in His leading? Most of us, even if we don't intend to, do seem to get upset when God does not answer the way we thought He would. But how are we supposed to respond?
That is what this book is all about. Pete Wilson, the author, is the lead pastor of Cross Point Church in Nashville, TN. Pete aspires ro lead churches to become radically devoted to Christ, irrevocably committed to one another, and relentlessly dedicated to reaching those outside of God's family.
I learned by reading this book that God's plan is definitely not always our plan. And even though we hear that all the time and we even preach it and teach it to others, we still tend to question Him when we really think things should go another way in our life. But we have to have faith in God and in His decision for our life. He is the one that knows what will happen tomorrow where we only hope for what will happen today. But sometimes God will change our plans and lead us in a way that we have to depend on Him, and as long as we have faith and truly believe in Him then He will go before us and things will always work out for the better. Just like in the days when Moses died and Joshua had to lead the people to the promised land. God spoke to Joshua and told him that they would have to cross over the river, but the river was up and there was no human way for them to get across it. Our plan in this situation would have been for God to make a way for them to cross before they got there, but in order to really show their faith they had to step foot into the river before God split the waters and they walked across on dry land. God's plan B was more of a challenge but I think God will bless us more if we take that extra leap of faith.
As I was reading this book I was faced with my own kind of Plan B experience. I was called at 6:30 on a Sunday morning by my dad. My first thought was that something was wrong with my mom but as I answered the phone and began to talk to him I realized he had a problem at work. He was supposed to teach Sunday School but he had an emergency at work that required him to go in ASAP. Before reading this book I would have said something to the tune of "I am sorry but I cannot help you." But this book came to my mind and I told him that I would teach his class for him. I had not studied at all so I went up to his house and got his notes and I went home and studied and prayed!! I was nervous but I truly felt God's presence was with me while I was in front of the class. I got several compliments and people even asking when I was teaching again. I know that God was testing my faith on that morning and I feel like I passed the test. But I would not have taken that chance if it had not been for Pete Wilson and his encouraging words in his book.
I totally recommend this book to everyone!! In fact, I have already told a few of my family and friends that they needed to read it as well as told several people in the church about the book and my own personal experience with it.
Get your own copy of Plan B @ Amazon here

1 comment:

  1. I found you from Friday Follow; I'm following you,
    would love to get follow back at;
    http://beonefineday.blogspot.com

    Thanks for sharing.
    Nan

    ReplyDelete